Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pink Flamigo in a Swimsuit?

Hello Crafters!  Christine here again.
Never in a million years would I have imagined that I would work with a Pink Flamingo in a swimsuit but it did happen.  Not only is the Flamingo wearing a swimsuit, he also has on sunglasses and is riding a surfboard!
My craft style tends to lean more toward the vintage, floral, distressed look.  For my final Guest Designer Blog post for Quick Quotes this month, I decided to step outside my comfort zone and do something completely different.  I went to a local Thrift Store and looked for something "unusual" to inspire me and found this little treasure.
 
I have to admit, it didn't immediately inspire me but thought it was so bizarre that if nothing else, it would make a great gag gift for our annual Christmas gift exchange and I would only be out $2.  I was a bit embarrassed by the piece and I actually hid it under other items in my cart.

So what did I finally come up with?  A little summer mini album featuring the Quick Quotes Be Bold paper line.  It's going to be the perfect Hostess Gift when I go to stay with friends at their ocean front beach home over the 4th of July.
 
It's a petite 4" x 6" album so I was able to utilize almost all of the papers in the Be Bold 6 x 6 paper pad.

For the cover, I trimmed out a phrase from one of the cut outs pages, layered it contrasting papers and then used pop dots to give it some dimension.  I fussy cut out the wave/swirl shapes from another of the papers and then added Stickles to give the cover some sparkle.  A metal dragonfly added a touch of whimsy.

For the interior pages, I used more of the cut out phrases and journaling cards from the 6 x 6 pad as well as some of the Be Bold die cut stickers.




I added several photo mats so there will be plenty of room to add pictures.  I also inked the edges of all the papers with a variety of the Powder Puff Chalking Inks.

 
The book was bound using a Zutter Bind-it-All and a variety of coordinating ribbons were tied to the wire binding coil.
 
 
 
Right about now I'm sure you're beginning to wonder what did the Pink Flamingo have to do with any of this design?
 
  Wonder no more as you gaze upon my finished project!
 
 
The surfing Flamingo became the perfect stand to hold my mini album!  It should make a great conversation piece and the couple who I am gifting the piece to have a sense of humor that will truly appreciate it's quirkiness.
 
It has been a pleasure this past month to be able to share some of my creations with you and again I would like to that Quick Quotes for asking me to be a Guest Designer for the Month of June.
 .
 
Supplies Used:
Other Supplies:
  • Stickles - Ranger
  • Bling - Want 2 Scrap, Jolee's
  • Zutter Bind-it-All
  • Ribbon - American Crafts
  • Dragonfly - Teresa Collins
  • Flamingo Stand - Thrift Store

No comments:

Post a Comment